What to expect at an expat party

Just a few nights ago, I was invited to an expat party at my friend's place at the heart of town. This is my so called third expat party experience. Sometimes it is held at nice fancy restaurants or bars (with music or bands preferred) and sometimes it is hosted at someone's home where a community of expatriates (usually common friends) would come together to have a great time enjoying each other's company. It is a great way of getting to know more new friends. From these parties I learn more about other expat's cultures and maybe a little bit more about their country. Hmmmm.....interesting.

 At my friend's party I also get to meet a lot of interesting people and some from parts of the world I never even knew existed! It's like the whole world is at one place that night!

Basically the common ice breaker questions would be:
Where are you from?
How long have you been here?
What line of work do you do?

The expat parties I attended in Malaysia and Singapore were slightly different. The one in Singapore I attended was more family oriented where I see a lot of mummy and daddy expats with young children. The crowd in Malaysia are all younger. But the only common thing is that most of the parties were held by the poolside with lots of fun and laughter exchanged. They really know how to have a good time.
Caught up with some old friends. Made some new friends.
My fav gal from Poland. Isn't she gorgeous. Love her blonde hair and clear blue eyes and big smiles. The best part is she is super sincere,  humble, approachable and super friendly.
New friends from different parts of the world gather together. From Estonia, Japan, Austria and me representing Malaysia. Yeah!
Love these new French Friends I made.  Looks like French is scuh common as a language that night that when I was in the lift with 8 people, 6 of them speaks French! And He Lene here speaks fluent Malay. OMG! I am so amazed! For those who have been here for more than a year or two is pretty much "localized".
Check out the crowd for the night! Semuanya happy happy sangat!
So while others were mingling, I got to meet a real-life Santa! I seem fascinated with his looooong beard. 
Things can get hot and sweaty and my friend here is all drenched in sweat but full of smiles.

Alex from the UK

Italians rule the night! Because the host was Italian himself. So, sempat I berposing with a few more Italian boyz and girls.They are very friendly people.

This gorgeous lady is also from Italy and I am so attracted to her fringe. Yes, they are REAL!
Her features are just remarkable and I am totally mesmerized by her charm and beauty!

A friend from South Africa and my Canadian girlfriend. 
The night ended pretty late for me but it was an eye opener! 
Hopefully more expat parties to come soon.




Comments

Popular Posts